Friday, June 17, 2011

Cold Brew System

While exploring the nooks & corners of Portland's suburbs, I came by a kitchen appliance store - Williams Sonoma. A very well-stocked variety of appliances, displayed with matching elan, got me interested to inspect every display area. And is the case, a house is always wanting for a new accessory; I picked a pair of tongs.
The warm-hearted lady at the counter cited at the booklet I'd picked up from their coffee-pot section. Believe you me, they have the largest variety of brewing devices (not electrical machines) in one place I have ever seen together. French Press, Single Cup Filter, Chemex Brewer, Vacuum Pot, Italian Moka Pot, Hand Drip Coffee Maker, even a Turkish coffee grinder.
I promptly signed up for their email newsletter. And glad I am; their earliest update had a new coffee brewing system which needs no hot water. Known as the Toddy Cold Brew Coffee System, it uses a large carafe to let the coffee slowly bloom; you can leave it overnight too.
Courtesy williams-sonoma.com

I recently acquired ingenuiTEA Loose Leaf Tea Teapot from Vat19. Although the product demo clearly uses tea leaves, I wanted to hack it for making medium-ground coffee, without the hassle of changing filters each time. I (16 oz), and is mobile enough for me to keep in the fridge. The next morning, I drained out the coffee, and stored it in a small jug. With brewed coffee readily available to drink, I merely heated the milk & water mixture to mix with a small portion of the cold brewed coffee.


If you are deuced with a delicate stomach, or suffer from acidity frequently, this would be the solution for enjoying your coffee without all that heartburn.
I found the cold brew coffee strictly okay. I tried increasing the proportion, but never got the caffeine kick, nor the enticing whiff of a freshly brewed cup of coffee. Once the concentrate was over, I am happily back to brewing steaming cups of coffee.
Do you have an ingenious hack  for coffee-making? Please share it in the Comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment