Monday, February 7, 2011

Back to Tradition

Early in the morning today, my doctor told me that I have SAD, which stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder. This was an unexpected discovery for me, but I'm quite pleased with her theory, since I can't keep blaming PMS all the time. To celebrate this newly-chanced Western-world malady, I decided to brew myself a desi-cup of  kapi.
Courtesy Uma's Kitchen
My coffee teapot
Out came the coffee beans from Philips Coffee & Co, my preferred choice in Bombay. Instead of my modern coffee machine which jets out 4 shots of espresso at the click of a button, I fetched my drip coffee filter. While regular assemblies look like a tube, my mom found me this cute unit which looks like a tiny teapot, with a convenient spout, suited for my earlier custom of one cup on Saturday afternoons. The Sainsbury's coffee filter paper cones my brother had bought for me during a visit to UK also made it to the front line.
While most directions on making this South Indian style coffee state that after the water reaches boiling point, you let it cool for 30 seconds, and then pour it into the drip coffee filter canister, and let it stand for 3-5 minutes to get a stiff shot of steaming coffee which requires merely 2 tablespoons of milk, and a heap of sugar.
Except I prefer to place my coffee, or should I call it a teapot?! on a hot plate even as the brew slowly drips into the container below. This ensures that I see swirls of steam coming from my cup even if I forget about it for more than 5 minutes. I also substituted whole milk with flavored Vanilla creamer, and smack! It was de.li.cous.

No comments:

Post a Comment