Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Instant Coffee

During a recent stop at Cleveland, I was offered a cup of coffee. The sweet and creamy serving threw me back two decades into the era when we were simply called 'children', since the term 'tweens' had not yet been coined.
As kids, my brother and I were rarely presented with any beverage except milk, mixed with Bournvita, Complan, Boost, or if it was a special day, then Cadbury's Drinking Chocolate.
Ergo, on visits to a relatives house, while the parents would be served piping cups of masala chai, we got cups of a beige blend. This was the funnest part of the excursion, since I got to see them brewing it too. And the decoct prepared by my host in Cleveland made me all sappy. In case you have never had the good fortune to have tasted this mnemonic of a coffee, follow instructions below.
Take one cup milk, and bring it to boil. Add one tablespoon sugar (you can add more if you are sure nobody is watching your weight). Steep it for five minutes. Add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of Instant Coffee (Bru or Nescafe). Pour from a height into a cup so that it froths up at the rim, like the guy in the adjoining picture.

Sit back in a cushy chair, and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment